Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog!!
My goal in 2020 was to get back into it and and then….well, we all now what happened! On the up side, I had extra time to test out lots of skincare and beauty products, so there are more posts to come! I especially focused on eye makeup since face coverings made it pointless to wear lipstick (I must confess I still wore it under mine sometimes…)
Since makeup has been all about eyes this year, I thought a list of best and worst mascaras could be helpful, just based on the ones I’ve tried. I’m counting backwards from 10 to 1; starting with the bad and ending with the fabulous! Enjoy!
10. Gold Waves Mascara by Kiko Milano. I’ll start with the positive and say that the packaging is beautiful, and I loved the gold tube! I had very high hopes for this beauty brand from Italy! Unfortunately it didn’t work for me. While it was lengthening, the brush was too big and the formula was very wet. It gave me raccoon eyes!
9. L’Oreal Volumizing Mascara.
I read great reviews about this one as well and since there was a sale on Amazon, I gave it a try! The pros are that it does add volume to your lashes (if that’s what your looking for) and it’s less expensive. However, it was very wet, and it just smudged onto my eyelids and under-eye area. Not ideal for applying in a rush before going to work! For a drug store mascara it’s decent, but not as earth-shattering for me as some of the reviews claimed. Retails for $5.99 on Amazon .
8. Buxom Mascara, full size is $22 at Sephora. This was “meh” for me. Not impressed. I tried the sample size and am happy I didn’t spend money on the full size. If you like a more natural look, this might work for you. I didn’t get much product from the tube and had to apply several coats to get some volume. Overall it also did not last that long, the tube dried up quickly. Not worth the price if you ask me!
7. it! Cosmetics Hello Lashes 5-in-1.
This one was also a sample size, and, as with the Buxom, I didn’t not like it enough to buy the full size. Overall, it was very clumpy and flaky. Since it!Cosmetics was acquired by L’Oreal in 2016, it is possible that the formula has changed. So many customers raved about it when it first came out that I had high expectations, but was unfortunately disappointed by the quality of this product. $25 on the it!Cosmetics website!
6. Tarte Big Lash Mascara.
Hello raccoon eyes! Another fail for me- sigh! Retails at Ulta for $23 full size, $15 for the mini. (I received my mini as a sample, I think perhaps in one of my Ipsy bags?)
Now the Top 5! (with 5 being the lowest rating and 1 the highest)
5. Physicians Formula Organic Wear at Duane Reade/Walgreens.
This is one of my go-to drugstore mascaras. It can get flaky after a few hours, but I like that’s it’s organic, gives volume, and it’s only $9.49! You can find it at Walgreens/Duane Reade.
4. Marc Jacobs.
If you need a mascara that won’t come off, this is it!! This will stay on no matter what: rain, sweat, cold winter air, bring it on!! In addition to that, it is lengthening and easy to apply! Retails for $27 at Sephora. (You can get a mini size for $14 to try it out!)
3. Hourglass Mascara.
I was pleasantly surprised by this one! Applies evenly, it’s lengthening, no smudging, stays on all day. Need I say more? Mini retails for $14, full size $29 at Sephora
2. Benefit Roller Lashes. Retails for $26, mini for $13 Sephora. If your looking for a curving and lifting mascara, this is a good one! The wand is shaped so that it helps curb your lashes, it’s not clumping and doesn’t bleed. Overall, good quality for the price!
1. Wander Beauty Mile High Club Mascara. $26 at Sephora. Also winner of the Allure Beauty Award! This is my current favorite!!
I received this mascara from my Fab Fit Fun box, and I’m obsessed!! It’s lengthening, volumizing, water-resistant, and it doesn’t clump! I also love that it dries quickly so it doesn’t “bleed” into the under eye area. When I cleanse, it just flakes and doesn’t run down my face! I now understand why it won the Allure Best of Beauty Award! I will definitely purchase this one when I run out! I received mine in my Fab Fit Fun Box, but you can find at Sephora for $26.
L’Oréal Primer in Millenial Pink. Retails for about $9 at Duane Reade/Walgreens or Amazon. Do I really need this? No. However it’s fun and it adds extra volume when I want a more dramatic effect. Also it’s pink!
That’s it for now! Stay Chic!